Learning Outcomes

1. Increased awareness of your own strengths and areas for growth
2. Undertaken new challenges
3. Planned and initiated activities
4. Worked collaboratively with others
5. Shown perseverance and commitment in your activities
6. Engaged with issues of global importance
7. Considered the ethical implications of your actions
8. Developed new skills

Reflective Questions

How did you feel about a particular aspect of the activity?
How did you interact with others?What did you perceive?What did you think about activity?
What did the activity mean to you?
What was the value of the activity?
How did activity benefit others?
How did activity measure up to the the eight learning outcomes?
Were the goals set too low, too high or just right? Why?
If difficulties existed how did you overcome them?
What did you learn from the activity and how might this new knowledge be applied more widely elsewhere in your life? (For example, a change of perspective).
How - specifically - did you interact with others?

Saturday, December 19, 2009

Best bowling score ever... but average remains the same.

My three scores today were 106 (first game), 68 (second game), and 146!!! Due to the 68, my average of the three games for today is 106, compared to my average of 109 from last week, so my averages are pretty consistent.

I feel great about today overall, despite the one bad score of 68.

Due to last night, which was drama-filled due to some former friends, I woke up very stressed and tense and I didn't even want to get out of bed, but I knew that I should go to bowling so I went anyway. I was so tense, barely in the mood to talk, and stressed out when I got there, so the fact that I was able to bowl a 106 right off the bat showed me that even in stressful times, I was still able to focus and concentrate.

HOWEVER after my first game, I received a call from someone, and the phone call bothered me so much that I was on the verge of tears. I bowled a 68 my second game, which is not one of my better scores. I practically cracked under pressure, and the bowling coordinator Violet came over to talk to me, she asked me what was wrong and told me I wasn't doing well my second game, and she gave me a helpful hint. I told her someone was bothering me and really getting to me today. She said, "If someone is bothering you and causing you stress and you can't get it out of your mind and this is causing you to do badly, pretend that every pin is their face. Think to yourself, I want to hit every single face and not just one, I have to get a strike." And sure enough, in the midst of my anger and frustration, I was able to bowl with the most accuracy and precision that I ever have. The first five frames, I got a spare each time. I got two strikes later in the game, and I was able to focus on the exact pins I wanted to hit, and I ended with a score of 146. The score of 146 made me realize that I AM capable of getting that score or even better in the future.

If I could get a 146 today, I can get one again in the future, or even strive to do better. I also did better the third game than either of the more experienced kids that were bowling in the same lane, which gave me the incentive to keep pushing myself to concentrate more, continue working on my aim, my posture, and to not settle for less than my best. And obviously, 146 has been my best and I firmly believe I can do this well in the future.

I don't have bowling again until January 9th. I have PLENTY of time to go and practice some more, which I intend to do :) :) I'm proud of my improvements, given that the first week my wrist hurt due to the weight of the balls, and I could barely even direct the ball in a straight line.

No comments:

Post a Comment