Learning Outcomes

1. Increased awareness of your own strengths and areas for growth
2. Undertaken new challenges
3. Planned and initiated activities
4. Worked collaboratively with others
5. Shown perseverance and commitment in your activities
6. Engaged with issues of global importance
7. Considered the ethical implications of your actions
8. Developed new skills

Reflective Questions

How did you feel about a particular aspect of the activity?
How did you interact with others?What did you perceive?What did you think about activity?
What did the activity mean to you?
What was the value of the activity?
How did activity benefit others?
How did activity measure up to the the eight learning outcomes?
Were the goals set too low, too high or just right? Why?
If difficulties existed how did you overcome them?
What did you learn from the activity and how might this new knowledge be applied more widely elsewhere in your life? (For example, a change of perspective).
How - specifically - did you interact with others?

Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Update on Key Club contributions

I have continued to attend every Key Club meeting, and I have to say that I enjoy being a part of Key Club. Of all my CAS activities, I feel that it is the hardest one to maintain commitment to, but I have made sure that I have continued to do so, which is helping me to achieve learning outcome number 5 - to maintain commitment to the activity and do my part.

Often times, on Monday I want to go out to lunch, and sitting in a classroom for my lunch period is not what I want to be doing, but I have been putting aside what I'd RATHER do and instead, attend every meeting. Each week I look for opportunities to contribute to the group and to do my part, and last week I did this by selling tickets during Friday's lunch period to the semi-formal dance. Volunteers were sought out to take their turn selling the tickets and I wanted to make sure I contributed one way or another, and I did. I made copies of the flyer advertizing the dance and hung them up around the school in different places, hoping that people would see the flyer and buy a ticket. I also sat at the table, with a couple of other people, to collect money for the dance which would then be given to Hyanna so she could keep track of it. It's still been difficult for me to find time to participate in activities over the weekend due to my busy schedule with work and other CAS activities, but I plan on making the time in the future and as of now I am looking for opportunities to participate during the school week in any way that I can, because I want to make a difference.

The way that this activity is helping me is that it is teaching me that sometimes, how we want to spend our time is not how we should be spending it, that is instead of going out for lunch with my friends on Mondays or last Friday for instance, I give some of my time to benefit the group as a whole and do my part, so that the work and effort will be more evenly divided and so that I will have done my part. I am learning to put first what is most important and give up my time where need be, and it's teaching me to be less selfish and to be committed to activities and tasks that I commit myself to. A year ago I probably would have gone to every other meeting so that I wouldn't have had to give up my lunches and I probably would have sat in the back and let everyone else take responsibility for tasks that need to be done, but now I want to step up and say I will do this or that, and that I will take responsibility for my share of the work and that I will volunteer when volunteers are needed. I'm learning to be less selfish with my time and put others and good causes first, because I KNOW that Key Club is a good cause and that everything we do is benefitting other people, and that's what I want to do. I want to make a difference in other people's lives and by maintaining commitment to the activity, I am hoping that somewhere down the line I will have (and will continue to) make a difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment