Learning Outcomes

1. Increased awareness of your own strengths and areas for growth
2. Undertaken new challenges
3. Planned and initiated activities
4. Worked collaboratively with others
5. Shown perseverance and commitment in your activities
6. Engaged with issues of global importance
7. Considered the ethical implications of your actions
8. Developed new skills

Reflective Questions

How did you feel about a particular aspect of the activity?
How did you interact with others?What did you perceive?What did you think about activity?
What did the activity mean to you?
What was the value of the activity?
How did activity benefit others?
How did activity measure up to the the eight learning outcomes?
Were the goals set too low, too high or just right? Why?
If difficulties existed how did you overcome them?
What did you learn from the activity and how might this new knowledge be applied more widely elsewhere in your life? (For example, a change of perspective).
How - specifically - did you interact with others?

Saturday, January 16, 2010

Prom Committee - still going/helping any way I can.

I've been continuing to go to Prom Committee, except for a few weeks ago because I was having a rough week and needed to catch up on some homework assignments.

There isn't as much hands-on work to be done at this point (fundraising or otherwise), but I have been doing whatever I can to help. At the last meeting, Mrs. Hyer needed someone to write phone numbers and names on the back of raffle tickets and then put the ticket stub into the envelopes that would be sent to the buyer, and I chose to do this to help out. I did this the entire lunch period, even though the meeting was let out early because there was nothing left to go over.

As much as I wanted to go out to lunch in the remaining time like everyone else, I stayed inside and finished filling out every needed ticket. I said I would do it, and I did. At this point for me the main challenge for me in Prom Committee is that I often would rather be outside at lunch, or with my friends. After three classes in the morning, a breath of fresh air (literally and metaphorically) is often what I need and what I want. But at the same time I made a commitment to join Prom Committee and I see that as more important than going outside to talk to my friends at lunch. I am learning that when making a commitment to something, somewhere down the line I may wish to break the commitment and not fulfill my duties but the honorable thing to do, and the unselfish thing to do for the group as a whole, is to stick with my commitments and do what I promised. And it actually turns out that I enjoy the prom meetings once I am there, but the few classes before lunch I may be thinking, "I've been in a classroom all morning, I just want some fresh air and to be out of the building for the entire lunch." A year ago, I would not have been this willing to follow through with my commitments but now I think in terms of the greater good for the group, being helpful, and learning that sometimes, I may not always want to do what I should, but I need to do it anyway and learning this has made me a stronger person.

No comments:

Post a Comment