Learning Outcomes

1. Increased awareness of your own strengths and areas for growth
2. Undertaken new challenges
3. Planned and initiated activities
4. Worked collaboratively with others
5. Shown perseverance and commitment in your activities
6. Engaged with issues of global importance
7. Considered the ethical implications of your actions
8. Developed new skills

Reflective Questions

How did you feel about a particular aspect of the activity?
How did you interact with others?What did you perceive?What did you think about activity?
What did the activity mean to you?
What was the value of the activity?
How did activity benefit others?
How did activity measure up to the the eight learning outcomes?
Were the goals set too low, too high or just right? Why?
If difficulties existed how did you overcome them?
What did you learn from the activity and how might this new knowledge be applied more widely elsewhere in your life? (For example, a change of perspective).
How - specifically - did you interact with others?

Saturday, February 20, 2010

Bowling; using a heavier bowling ball, scores about the same.

Last night I went bowling with my friend Nicole and I decided to practice using a heavier ball. I had previously used interchangably a 6 pound ball and an 8 pound ball, which were at the time the only ones I could use with control, but I decided to use a 12 pound ball and a 14 pound ball when I was there last night just for practice and so I could get used to them. Violet, our program director, told me that the heavier the bowling ball, the more control you have on where it goes and you're less likely to fling it aimlessly.

At first I did pretty badly when practicing on my own - scores of 60 and 70 were not uncommon, however I left last night with a score of 111 using a 14 pound ball, so I figured today I would be good to go and I'd try and use the same ball when actually bowling with everyone else in the program. My scores were 97, 107, and 121. These were close to my regular scores with the lighter balls, and I have come to the conclusion that now that I have used the heavier ones and am comfortable with them to some degree and learning how to control my usage of them, I will never be able to bowl with an 8 pound ball again. By comparison it'll feel far too light and I will be tempted to exert as much strength with that ball as I have gotten used to using with the heavier ones and I will end up flinging it too far.

I feel like switching to a heavier bowling ball was a good choice for me because I will gradually gain a greater sense of control while bowling and the ball will go exactly where I want. In addition, I just realized that only the heavier balls curve, so maybe I will be able to get that to happen for me as well. Also, the average of my three scores today was 108, which is above my average and a good sign for me; if I can bowl that with a heavier ball I am just getting used to, I'll get better in the weeks to come as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment