Learning Outcomes

1. Increased awareness of your own strengths and areas for growth
2. Undertaken new challenges
3. Planned and initiated activities
4. Worked collaboratively with others
5. Shown perseverance and commitment in your activities
6. Engaged with issues of global importance
7. Considered the ethical implications of your actions
8. Developed new skills

Reflective Questions

How did you feel about a particular aspect of the activity?
How did you interact with others?What did you perceive?What did you think about activity?
What did the activity mean to you?
What was the value of the activity?
How did activity benefit others?
How did activity measure up to the the eight learning outcomes?
Were the goals set too low, too high or just right? Why?
If difficulties existed how did you overcome them?
What did you learn from the activity and how might this new knowledge be applied more widely elsewhere in your life? (For example, a change of perspective).
How - specifically - did you interact with others?

Monday, February 1, 2010

Second best bowling score yet.

So last Saturday my three scores were 90, 101, and 131. 131 is my second best score yet, and the average of these three scores is 107. This is very good for me because with my average now a 92 (which increased one point in the past two weeks), I feel like if I continue to do well and beat my own scores and aim for scores that are above 125 (of which this was my second), I will be able to get my average over 100 by the end of the program if not higher.

What I did not realize until a few weeks ago is that we are actually bowling against another group of kids, which is why regardless of which lane they put me on, there is always one kid who is there with me, while everyone else switches. I did not realize until recently, surprisingly, that it was a competition against anyone else but myself, meaning I thought the purpose of the program was to improve my OWN scores over time and that they just switched us up for the sake of change. This is not good for me, considering that (like I have said before), most of the other kids are significantly more experienced than I am, as they have done this program for the past three years or more. I think my goal for myself is to continue to improve my scores and to increase my average, but I have noticed that I am getting as good as some of the less-experienced kids that were in the beginning of the program, still much better than myself. For instance there is this one guy who was, in the beginning, much better than me. This Saturday I was within 10 points of his score every time, and he even noticed that I have improved.

My goal for myself is still to improve my own scores and raise my average but now that I know it is competitive and that Violet (the instructor) is keeping track of wins/losses from team to team, it gives me more of an incentive to not only work to better my own abilities and scores, but to also try even harder so that I can compete with the other kids. I can't believe I didn't pick up on that earlier, but my main priority is to better my own abilities and to boost my average. I am still learning how to curve the ball but otherwise I have pretty much gotten a method down that is working for me. In fact, I could have gotten a higher score than 131 but in the last frame, I messed up and sent the ball into the gutter where I could have gotten a spare, which would have given me 146 points if I had successfully done such.

I think if I continue concentrating like I have been and I focus even more and watch my motions just a little bit more carefully I will come even closer to achieving my goal, and hopefully in the process, making myself just a little bit more of competition for the other, more experienced individuals. Even if I don't use it as a CAS activity next year I'd like to participate in this activity again, because it has helped me make some new friends, and enter unfamiliar situations better than I was previously able to do, and with that skill I will be able to approach situations and activities in the future in which I have little experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment