Learning Outcomes

1. Increased awareness of your own strengths and areas for growth
2. Undertaken new challenges
3. Planned and initiated activities
4. Worked collaboratively with others
5. Shown perseverance and commitment in your activities
6. Engaged with issues of global importance
7. Considered the ethical implications of your actions
8. Developed new skills

Reflective Questions

How did you feel about a particular aspect of the activity?
How did you interact with others?What did you perceive?What did you think about activity?
What did the activity mean to you?
What was the value of the activity?
How did activity benefit others?
How did activity measure up to the the eight learning outcomes?
Were the goals set too low, too high or just right? Why?
If difficulties existed how did you overcome them?
What did you learn from the activity and how might this new knowledge be applied more widely elsewhere in your life? (For example, a change of perspective).
How - specifically - did you interact with others?

Monday, February 8, 2010

I decided not to run for Key Club office.

I had the opportunity to go to today's Key Club meeting and at the last minute decide to run for one of the positions for Key Club office, such as treasurer, secretary, president, vice-president, or editor but I chose not to, and decided to simply vote. I am aware that a position like that is looked at very highly by colleges but part of the reason I chose not to run is that this weekend, I thought long and hard about my own limitations and my priorities, and I came to the conclusion that I am not sure how much more I can handle.

I already have a full plate in terms of activities, homework, work, etc. and I am always overwhelmed and stressed, and I feel like if by some chance I actually had won a position, it would be too much for me to handle on top of everything else I have. I know this makes me sound weak or like I am afraid to take risks but that's not it at all. I have pushed myself very hard so far to participate in as many activities as I can, join two school clubs (Key Club and Prom Committee), and to do my absolute best on every homework assignment and put in my best effort, and I still attempt to maintain a part time job on the weekends. The difference is that running for office for Key Club requires tutorials and attending meetings and giving it much time and effort, and it is not an easy job from what I hear, and I just do not think I would be able to balance that and my other priorities and still be able to get everything else done that I need to, because I am running out of available free time to fit other things into my schedule.

I acknowledge my own limitations and I am still going to try and push myself to do more and more, but something extremely professional and VERY important such as Key Club I don't feel should be put in my overwhelmed and temporarily stressed hands, and I felt as if the positions should be for people who truly want them and will do a better job, so I chose not to run.

No comments:

Post a Comment