Learning Outcomes

1. Increased awareness of your own strengths and areas for growth
2. Undertaken new challenges
3. Planned and initiated activities
4. Worked collaboratively with others
5. Shown perseverance and commitment in your activities
6. Engaged with issues of global importance
7. Considered the ethical implications of your actions
8. Developed new skills

Reflective Questions

How did you feel about a particular aspect of the activity?
How did you interact with others?What did you perceive?What did you think about activity?
What did the activity mean to you?
What was the value of the activity?
How did activity benefit others?
How did activity measure up to the the eight learning outcomes?
Were the goals set too low, too high or just right? Why?
If difficulties existed how did you overcome them?
What did you learn from the activity and how might this new knowledge be applied more widely elsewhere in your life? (For example, a change of perspective).
How - specifically - did you interact with others?

Saturday, October 24, 2009

Bowling, October 24, 2009 (Major improvement!)

My bowling scores today reflected major improvement on my part. My scores this week were 91, 113, and 84. My lowest score this week, an 84, was better than my highest score last week, which was 81. I am proud of myself because I did better than I expected I would, and everyone there today commented on how much I had improved.

I believe the secret to my success was that I went very slow, like I didn't charge up there and fling the ball down the aisle like I had been doing in previous weeks. I walked up slowly, and released the ball and followed through with my arm every single time, and most of the time, the ball went exactly where I wanted it to go. Occasionally it would roll into the gutter but this was not a frequent occurrence like it was last week. I still am unable to make the ball curve but I think that if I continue to go very slowly and make sure I release the ball without flicking my wrist, I will continue to succeed. My average score this week was a 96, which is much better than my average overall for the three previous weeks combined, which was about a 74 if I remember correctly.

One of my learning objectives for this activity (number 1) - increase awareness of my strengths and areas for growth - is achieved every week. For example, I was able to identify in previous weeks that my scores were not as high as I'd have liked them to be, and then I identified why - I was releasing the ball too quickly and flicking my wrist to the side, sending my whole arm and the ball to the right side of the aisle. I was able to correct this problem this week by slowing down my motion and remembering not to flick my wrist and keep my arm straight, and it is becoming habitual now to follow through properly. However I have identified that I would like to be able to learn to make the ball curve, which is the next thing I am going to work on, to improve my scores even more. Through this process I am achieving learning objective 8 (learning new skills), or at least attempting to. These skills are not limited to bowling, as I am learning perseverence as well. I'm not about to give up on this activity or accept failure.


* a side note - I skipped the Prom Committee meeting this week so I could go to extra help for algebra with Ms. Singer, and also there was no Key Club activity this week. I did attempt to stay after on Wednesday to help decorate a window, but this didn't end up happening at all because the door to the room was locked and there was a teacher's meeting, so all of us key-clubbers went home.

No comments:

Post a Comment