Learning Outcomes

1. Increased awareness of your own strengths and areas for growth
2. Undertaken new challenges
3. Planned and initiated activities
4. Worked collaboratively with others
5. Shown perseverance and commitment in your activities
6. Engaged with issues of global importance
7. Considered the ethical implications of your actions
8. Developed new skills

Reflective Questions

How did you feel about a particular aspect of the activity?
How did you interact with others?What did you perceive?What did you think about activity?
What did the activity mean to you?
What was the value of the activity?
How did activity benefit others?
How did activity measure up to the the eight learning outcomes?
Were the goals set too low, too high or just right? Why?
If difficulties existed how did you overcome them?
What did you learn from the activity and how might this new knowledge be applied more widely elsewhere in your life? (For example, a change of perspective).
How - specifically - did you interact with others?

Thursday, October 1, 2009

Open House/Prom Committee - October 1, 2009

Today was the Open House at school for the parents, to go from room to room and meet the teachers, and for Prom Committee, tables were set up in different places in the school with various sales and raffles going on; there were raffle tickets being sold, cookies and brownies being sold, and I handed out flyers to parents and students about the tag sale that will be held during parent/teacher conferences, so parents and students would be informed.

These past few days I have done all that I could to be busy and an active Prom Committee member. I designed a flyer on my computer advertising the tag sale that we are holding on November 23, which was a bit of a challenge for me because I am not good at designing flyers, even on the computer. I have not one artistic bone in my body. However I did the best that I could, using the necessary information (date, place, time, asking for donations of household items to be sold), and the flyers came out looking nice. I also made 150 copies of the flyer, two per page, and then cut them perfectly so that they were all the same size and looked neat. 

I did the best I could to help tonight at the open house. I sat at the sales table, and offered the flyer I made to parents and students who walked past the table, and I would tell them everything they needed to know about the tag sale, and I informed them that the money made from the tag sale will directly benefit the prom. It was difficult to hand out the flyer to every parent and student but I handed them out to as many people as I could. I also counted money at the table and decided to plan ahead and request that a copy of all of the profits could be given to me so when the time comes to organize the information on Google Spreadsheets, I would have the necessary information. 

I was also a bit nervous when I first showed up tonight, because while I know just about everyone else who was there to help, very few are really close friends. I was wondering if I would fit in, seeing how many of the students who are on Prom Committee this year were on last year's as well and know exactly what to do, and how to do it. I surprisingly warmed right up to everyone and even think I made a few new friends. I learned about myself that ahead of time I have a tendency to think that my social skills will fare worse than they actually do, and I end up being relatively social, especially if with people who I have met and spoken to before. Had I been surrounded by people I didn't know at all, I would have been much more nervous. I definitely think that my social skills are improving, although a lot of the time I still feel like I say things that sound awkward to others or that I ramble on about something unimportant so it looks like I am more comfortable with the people I'm with than I actually am. 

I feel like this week I have continued making progress toward achieving learning objectives 2 (taking on new challenges) and 4 (working collaboratively with others). Designing a flyer, making copies, handing it out, gave me a sense of responsibility and showed me that I can use my own ideas and come up with a plan and carry it out, as is the case with the tag sale. It was my idea and without me to ensure that everything gets done (advertising it, keeping track of the items brought in), it wouldn't get done. I feel responsible for the outcome of this event and I feel like that shows that I am making progress and learning a new sense of responsibility. I am already responsible in that I get my schoolwork done, but I am not used to coming up with an idea and going through all of the steps to carry out a plan, and I like it. I am also working collaboratively with others, more than I ever thought I would. I thought I'd be the reject member of Prom Committee, the one who didn't know what to do and sat off to the side but today I took part in the open house and did my best to help others with what they needed to do, and I did my best to make sure I was contributing to the group. 

I find that I am capable of way more than I initially thought I was, but I still would like to take on more responsibilities, particularly more difficult ones, so I continue to challenge myself to do the best I can do. 


No comments:

Post a Comment