Learning Outcomes

1. Increased awareness of your own strengths and areas for growth
2. Undertaken new challenges
3. Planned and initiated activities
4. Worked collaboratively with others
5. Shown perseverance and commitment in your activities
6. Engaged with issues of global importance
7. Considered the ethical implications of your actions
8. Developed new skills

Reflective Questions

How did you feel about a particular aspect of the activity?
How did you interact with others?What did you perceive?What did you think about activity?
What did the activity mean to you?
What was the value of the activity?
How did activity benefit others?
How did activity measure up to the the eight learning outcomes?
Were the goals set too low, too high or just right? Why?
If difficulties existed how did you overcome them?
What did you learn from the activity and how might this new knowledge be applied more widely elsewhere in your life? (For example, a change of perspective).
How - specifically - did you interact with others?

Saturday, October 17, 2009

No improvement in bowling so far :( 10/17/09

I went to bowling today. My scores are not improving, they are actually getting lower and lower each week. I am giving a sincere effort, and I think every week before I go, that my scores are going to improve and I will have figured out exactly what to do, but my scores are not reflecting much improvement.

I actually DO know what it is I am supposed to do, but then when it's my turn, I don't always think to do it. It's not even an intentional thing, it's just what happens. I know that I am supposed to not flick my wrist and follow through, with my arm releasing the ball so that my arm goes in the air in a straight line, following through with the whole motion. However, every time it's my turn and I try to do this, I flick my wrist to the side and send the ball toward the gutter. I don't realize that this is going to happen but it does, it's almost like it is a habit for me to release the ball that way. I have at least IDENTIFIED the problem - my wrist flicks, ALWAYS toward the right gutter. I don't know how to break this habit or even what I am doing with my wrist, I am not seeing myself bowling to identify the problem, but I know what the problem is because I am told by other people. When I do carefully monitor my motions when I bowl, the ball goes right down the middle and I apparently follow through correctly, with my arm going straight up and my thumb sticking straight up as well after the ball is released.

My scores this week were 51, 74, and 81. Also to take into consideration is the fact that the lanes were not greased, so the ball did not move as well for me or for anyone else. My score of a 51 reflects that the first game, I kept flicking my wrist, and by the second two games, for which my scores fall into the average range for me when compared to games bowled the previous two weeks, I had figured out how to NOT flick my wrist for the most part. In fact by the end of my final game, I had gotten two strikes in a row. It figures that I'd start doing well right before it was time to leave.

I think I need to go once or twice during the week and practice. When I carefully monitor what I am doing, I do well, but it's just a natural habit for me to flick my wrist when I bowl, and that is what is keeping me from being successful. Now that I have identified the problem, it's time for me to do all I can to correct it. I should probably bowl a lot slower, and watch what I am doing carefully so I can remind myself to follow through correctly. If I released the ball correctly EVERY time, my scores would be much higher, because I am much more successful when I don't flick my wrist. Learning objective 1 - recognize areas of strength and areas for growth - is what this is all about. I identified the problem and am going to attempt to fix it.

One solution to fixing the problem is to go during the week so I could try to improve without bowling under pressure, when my scores count.

No comments:

Post a Comment